Updated: Aug 11, 2019
3-4 lbs. ripe elderberries
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 packet MCP or SureJell pectin*
4 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon butter
1. Harvest about a 5-gallon bucket full of blue elderberries with the stems attached. Be sure to ask permission if it’s not your tree.
2. Wash the elderberries by filling the bucket with water.
3. Remove all stems from the elderberries and pour them into a pot. If needed, watch this video on Stripping Elderberries from their Stems https://vimeo.com/173978959.
4. Smash the elderberries in your pot so that the juices come out.
5. Bring to rolling boil while stirring in your sugar, pectin, butter and lime juice - then simmer for 15-minutes.
6. Pour the cooked elderberries and juice from your pot through a metal strainer with coffee filters on top, have a metal bowl underneath to capture only the juice.
7. Now pour the juice from your bowl into a measuring cup.
8. Sterilize your jars and lids by boiling them in a pot of water.
9. Pour the juice from your measuring cup into your jars and seal.
Note: If you have a metal cone strainer and pestal you can eliminate some of the steps above.
Thank you for your time, be sure to like our Facebook page and to subscribe to our website.